[AMPS] Alpha 374A

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Alpha 374A
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:09:37 -0800
Hi Rich,

What's an "outout" control?

The 1000MP has an output level control indeed.  But I never trust just
turning down the output level to prevent overdrive of 8874's, they pop way
too easily...which is why I leave the resistive pad installed in the 374A's.
It provides sufficient attenuation to make overdrive impossible, but still
allows the amp to run ~1500W PEP output, which is all it's supposed to do.

On many rigs the RF out control is too close to other controls and could be
easily bumped into the "gee, I wonder what vaporized the grids in my $400
8874's?" position.

WB2WIK/6

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger