[AMPS] a question for the EXPERT

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] a question for the EXPERT
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 16:06:09 -0800
Assuming you mean a vacuum tube amp, on 50 MHz I usually use a pi-net with a
small vacuum variable for plate tuning (2-30 pF, 10kV), 1/4" copper tubing
for the inductor (typ 3t, about 1.5" inside diameter, spaced over ~2.5 or 3"
long), and a 150pF or so air variable for the loading cap.  Seems to work
for 2x 4CX250's, 3x 4CX250's, single 4-1000, and most recently, a pair of
8122's, all equally well with good efficiency and little to no heating of
any of the components when used at legal limit power (1500W PEP).

On 144 MHz, I usually use a 1/4-wave stripline in air, tuned to the chassis
with a teflon-coated metal adjustable vane or flapper, and output link
coupled with a small variable tuning cap at the ground end of the link.  But
usually on 144 MHz, I use 2 x 4CX250's in PP, which makes it easier because
the old "plumber's delight" all-copper tubing construction, which tunes the
tank using rotating discs to change plate-to-plate C near the anodes, and
link output, works so well and is very easy to build in a small chassis (the
pipes are about 12" long and in parallel, and cost maybe $3 at the plumbing
store).

I don't know what you mean by a variable capacitor between the anode and the
antenna.  How does that transform the high plate impedance of the tube to
the low line impedance of the load?

WB2WIK/6

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger