[AMPS] Reflector thoughts about my future amp project wanted!

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Reflector thoughts about my future amp project wanted!
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:18:46 -0800
I have built two amps using 4-1000's, both grounded cathode.  The six meter
amp (still in use) started out with a tuned input network using a bifilar
toroid and small trimmer capacitor and presented a wonderful load to the
exciter, but made the amplifier so easy to drive I could hardly avoid
overdriving it.  (Used 4200V Ep, 650V Eg2.)  Replaced that with, and also
built the 160m amp using, passive input provided by a resistive swamping
network (-6 dB) and balun (on the tube side of the pad) which provides
precisely the right drive to achieve 1500W output when 100W is applied to
the chassis.  Well, okay, it's a bit more than 1500W.

WB2WIK/6

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger