[AMPS] HV Pole Pigs ++

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV Pole Pigs ++
From: phil@vaxxine.com (Phil (VA3UX))
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 17:53:50 -0500
Not a bad point Jack.  Ultimately most of the pigs are removed from the can
when used for amateur service. I don't know about the standards in the US
but here in Canada, these pole transformers had to have enough sheet
insulation between winding layers to meet the electrical requirements
*before* they were put in oil.  The oil then just added a huge additional
insulation factor as well as providing the required cooling. This came from
a conversation I had with a design engineer at Ferranti-Packard (at one
time, one of the largest makers of pole transformers in Canada). So at
least in Canada, these things can be safely run dry.  However the sheet
insulation is still subject to the same time/temperature/aging effects as
any other transformer so eventual failure is expected.

Phil