[AMPS] current rating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] current rating
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 09:36:01 -0800

>in the sb200 amps, as well as maybe some others the power transformer has a
>120vac winding. does anyone have a clue as to the current rating of that
>winding??? I have built a fast switching relay setup for my sb200, a la
>Rich's info, but since the original was only used for bias and the ant.relay
>I kind of wonder if it can handle 80-100 ma.. or so!! Any educated guesses
>out there??? thanks!!

//  By measuring the resistance of the 80Vrms winding, you can calculate
the approx. current capability with a FWB.   With the SB-220, this
winding has 13?s so it will deliver 200mADC with FWB rectification
instead of the original half-wave rectifier.  Another way to tell when a
winding is at safe max current is to measure RMS voltage.  When the RMS-v
drops 5% under load, the safe load limit has pretty much been reached.

cheers, Carl

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end