[AMPS] New to list.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] New to list.
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:49:33 -0800
Hi Ron, see below....

> In any case, the LPF drops all harmonic content 20 to 30 dB using an HP
> 8593 (100Khz to 22 Ghz) with a rubber duck antenna to it's input so it's
> seeing the leakage comming out of the cantenna, coax and rig.
> I guess I see your drift that I should be looking at a sample of the
> load.
        [Steve Katz]  Absolutely.  You can't tell what's happening with even
a vague degree of accuracy when you don't have a direct connection.  You're
dealing with the vagaries of signal propagation, antenna efficiencies, dummy
load leakage, etc.  The data is meaningless.  If I were to guess, I'd say
the system as you've set it up is much more efficient at VHF than at HF, and
will reveal you've got a serious harmonic problem when in reality no such
problem exists.
> The bias was extreme where no signal currents were near 12 to 15 amps.
        [Steve Katz]  The zero signal idling current is 75% of the peak Ic?
That is about Class A and must result in pretty lousy efficiency, not to
mention lots of thermal rise and probably an unstable amplifier (too much
gain).  Re-bias for maybe 3A ZSIC and everything might get a lot better.

        [Steve Katz]  73, WB2WIK/6