[AMPS] New to the Amps list

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] New to the Amps list
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:43:04 -0800

>Hi all,
> After having frequented the towertalk list, i am
> new to the amps reflector. Well, wanted that
> extra power after the tower has been installed.
>
>Now i do have some stupid questions on Amps.
>I am not quite an experienced homebrewer. Especially,
>after that RF burn with a 100W rig when playing with
> apartment antennas, i am a bit shy. But willing to
> safely experiment .{ not yet on homebrewing a QRO amp :) }
>
>I am contemplating on an AL-811/AL-811H.
>
>1) Is the AL-811H the same copy of AL-811, but
>  has an extra matched tube.??
>
>2) Can i buy an AL-811 and then later, when i
> retube it, drop in a matched quad of 572B's to
> make it a AL-811H. I assume the 811 will have an
> unused tube socket.
>
>3) I have been thru the eham.net reviews on the AL-811's.
>    A lot of folks have given a big thumbs up for the Amp.

//   Buyers tend to endorse whatever they spend their hard earned money
on.

> What are the things i should keep in mind when looking out
> or testing an amp, if i buy used??

//   The prototype was sent to a writer-friend in Simi Valley for
evaluation.  During testing, the amplifier was apparently working well
until he heard a pop and the 811As went dark.  The reason was that the
filament wires shattered.
-  During an intermittent VHF parasite, the maximal surge in grid current
causes lateral stress on the filament due to EM force.  A subsequent gas
check with a high-pot showed there was still a normal vacuum.
-  Better (less VHF Q/Rp) parasite suppressors might be a worthwhile mod.

>Would you recommend this
> for my first amp.

//  Surely.  It might turn out to be an educational tool.

>My setup has a TA-33 with the 2KW traps, a TS-440 exciter
>and a MFJ-969( 300W tuner).

//   'Tis best to keep a fire extinguisher handy for the 969.

>Sorry about my stupid questions and i do appreciate your
>patience and help.

//  There are fewer stupid questions than stupid answers.

cheerio, Krish

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end