[AMPS] Special connector for coax??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Special connector for coax??
From: kkanakas@cisco.com (krishna)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:51:10 -0500
Hi all,
 I have been watching the discussion on the coax and connectors for HV.
 I am going to be using my first amp an AL-811H. I have 100ft of RG-8/U (rated
at 1200W at
 probably 1:1swr). Now i probably bought some cheap available connector and
soldered it.

 Do i need to get a special HV connector?? Where can i find a few??

 Moreover, i was looking at some tuner reviews for the MFJ 1.5Kw and 3Kw tuners
 and got scared at the comments that folks had posted. This was on the use of
Amps and fire hazard.

 Will good grounding prevent human exposure to arcing. Provided one doesn't open
the AMP and
 have all connections intact, viz RIG-AMP-Antenna.

 I have some very heavy multistranded insulated coper wire. Probably #1 or #2
guage.

 TO DIGRESS >>>>>
 They are setting up a DC power plant at work and have some left overs cables :)

 Gotta see those. I love em. They crimp the connectors at the end of this cable
 to run 48V DC for the telecom equipment. I wish we had some solid state amps to
use the power :)
 The DC power modules are all plug in types.
 <<<<<<

 I am planning on using the power cable for running my ground wire.

 Here are my proposals.

 1) connect all the equipment ( radio/baby tuner/amp/ big tuner etc) to a single

     ground using a heavy guage wire.

2) Connect the ground bus to this #1 or #2 insulated wire.

3) Can i run the insulated wire along with the coax and other stuff to outside
    the house ( where i am going to drive down ground rods). This will be a long
run.

4) The other option to (3) is to drill a hole near the window and take the
ground
    wire straight to the ground rod. And from the ground rod, i can run another
    piece of wire to the waterpipe that is outside the house ( of course will
check
    for continuity of water pipe metallic sections). Doing this will avoid 90
degree turns
    and keep the run short. My Qth is a split level and my shack is almost below
ground
    level. The window lower frame is just a couple of feet from the ground level
on the
   outside.

So please let me know if i am asking for disaster with any of my ideas.

thanks
krish
w4/vu2vku