[Amps] Plasma Generator

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Plasma Generator
From: n2bc@stny.rr.com (Bill Coleman)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 07:55:16 -0500
Greetings, looking for advice.   I have obtained a 2KW Plasma Generator -
great price - free!   It's a crystal osc. driving a 6146, driving a
5CX1500A.  First chore is a bit of restoration, then get it running on
13.56mHz to verify the health of the components.

I'm thinking of "copying" the Collins 30S-1 scheme - cathode driven AB1.
Any major pitfalls in this with a 5CX1500A ??  From the limited docs I have,
the power supply is 4800V on the plate, 500V on the screen.

An alternative to staying with the 5CX1500A would be to gut it a bit and run
a YC-179 (aka YC-156, 3CX5000).  Challenge here will be the hefty output
capacitance of the YC-179  - I'd really like the resulting amp to cover 160
thru 10.  Thoughts on this?

Of course, I could just go into the semiconductor business too...

THX & 73,  Bill
Bill Coleman    N2BC
http://home.stny.rr.com/n2bc