[Amps] 5cx1500a 5cx1500b Sparta Elcom Bauer Transmitter

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 5cx1500a 5cx1500b Sparta Elcom Bauer Transmitter
From: nospam4me@juno.com (skipp isaham)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 08:30:34 -0800
Hi Bill,
-
I've worked on a number of Elcom Bauer Sparta Broadcast
transmitters with the 5cx1500a/b in service.  They are a "long
life" and rather hardy tube.  Near 95Mhz, I receive about
2300 watts in 24 hour service (FM Broadcast).
-
Some years ago, the tube socket failed. The rebuild of
the transmitter allows direct replacement using the
5cx1500b tube.  Turns out with the proper cautions, both
tubes will work in same properly designed circuits.
-
Pay attention to the socket.
-
The driver was originally a 4cx150 (about the same
as your 6146 layout) which drove a big fat grid resistor
and made a nice space heater for cab internals.
-
Life of the tube is all about heater voltage control.
-
There is also a rather nasty Henry HF amplifier using
said, but I don't like their circuit.  Some day I've got to
rebuild the one I've had in the back room for the last
12 years. I kept blowing up on the original owner.
-
cheers
skipp
-
From: "Bill Coleman" <n2bc@stny.rr.com>
Greetings, looking for advice.   I have obtained a 2KW Plasma Generator -
great price - free!   It's a crystal osc. driving a 6146, driving a
5CX1500A.  First chore is a bit of restoration, then get it running on
13.56mHz to verify the health of the components.

I'm thinking of "copying" the Collins 30S-1 scheme - cathode driven AB1.
Any major pitfalls in this with a 5CX1500A ??  From the limited docs I
have,
the power supply is 4800V on the plate, 500V on the screen.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.