[Amps] Henry 3K-A

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Henry 3K-A
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:13:19 -0800

> EUR  We ain't supposed to talk about that, because then people would
> realize that there are big boys who run somewhat more than 1400w during
> contests and DX pileups.  When I was running the 20db
> tetrode-with-handles amplifier, people used to ask me why their S-meter
> went up 10db more than when I switched to my SB-220.  When I answered the
> question,  some dudes became real-foamy angry.

        ::Hmph.  No sense of humor.  When I had the dual 4CX1500 amp on the
air back in the late 1970's it picked up 17dB over a 100W exciter and people
would ask about that sometimes.  I always attributed it to propagation
changes.

> --   Never use more power than needed to communicate . . . on top of a
> jammer dog-pile.
>
> Due to its high DC anode potential, a 3K-A can deliver 2k PEP.

        ::It sure can.  I know, I've owned 3K-A's and several other Henry
amps.  Got tired of all the knob cranking (band switching from 160 to 10 can
be painful, I think it might cause arthritis in those not already having
symptoms).  But I still miss the old 4K Ultra, it was a very neat amp.
Although even the 4K Ultra, with three huge panel meters sitting atop its
console, didn't have a "relative output power" indicator of any type.
Typical Henry.

        -WB2WIK/6