[Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [ Amps]Bird® 43 Manual

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [ Amps]Bird® 43 Manual
From: elmore@nssl.noaa.gov (Kim Elmore)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:11:05 -0600
I'll put in my $0.02 and then be silent (I promise!).

At 10:42 AM 3/28/2002 -0500, Paul Christensen wrote:
> > If there's no termination, there's no power - for power, you have to have a
> > dissipating resistance.
>
>Correct in that the unterminated end of a line presents no load.  Without
>a load on the of a transmission line, no power is
>dissipated.
>
>However, power is being generated and dissipated somewhere.  Why?  If I
>take my fixed output impedance transmitter and connect to an
>unterminated transmission line, my Bird 43 reads 100-watts of forward
>power and 100-watts of reflected power.

No.  Watt meters that hams and most engineers use at RF measure either
voltage or Current.  They do not measure *power*.  Given the voltage or
current, analog meters use a graphical conversion (called a meter scale) to
equivalent power given under the assumption of a matched
termination.  Digital meters also perform a conversion in firmware.  None
of these devices measure *power*.

Kim Elmore, N5OP
                           Kim Elmore, Ph.D.
"All of weather is divided into three parts: Yes, No, and Maybe. The
greatest of these is Maybe" The original Latin appears to be garbled.