[Amps] 12V 120A Switcihng Power supply?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 12V 120A Switcihng Power supply?
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 15:07:36 -0600
Subject: RE: [Amps] 12V 120A Switcihng Power supply?

> I don't think such a beast exists....

Now that I know what you are trying to do, there is a Finnish company
that offers a KW amp in a brief case. OH2BH has taken one on several
DX-peditions. They have a web site, but I lost the URL. As I remember,
it uses a bunch of FET's, so their power supplies are probably greater
than 12 volts.

A thing I have done in the past is to take a quality 15 amp automatic
tapering battery charger with my Henry SS-750 on my trips. These,
and my Icom 706 with its power supply, and a few sets of battery
jumper cables will easily fit into a fairly small suitcase, and will meet
your weight target. Then, all you have to do is bum or buy 1 to 4 car
batteries or a big marine battery when you get to the expedition site.
A 15 amp charger will easily keep up the battery(s) on SSB and normal
expedition-speed CW.

Just a couple of thoughts for you.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC