[Amps] Re: 12V 120A Switching Power supply?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: 12V 120A Switching Power supply?
From: wa1hco@adelphia.net (jeff millar)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 23:51:16 -0500
Quiet?  Not the FCC Class B telecom units I've been playing with.  These
beasts put out relatively low noise differentially between output V and its
ground but put out a lot of noise "common mode" between the output pair and
the case (green wire ground), between the input leads and case, and between
the input return and output return.

I've been measuring these things at work and currently see 2V peak to peak
impulses at the 75 KHz switching frequency followed by 10-20 cycle of
ringing at about 50-100 MHz.

>From what I can tell, the manufacturers pass FCC EMI testing by putting a
resistive load on the outputs that's not connected to anything, just
resistors floating in air.  This minimizes the tendancy for the output
ground noise to pump back into the input lines.  But once we connect the
outputs to our equipment (and it's chassis ground), the input conducted
noise rises by 20-30 dB and we that far out of spec.

jeff, wa1hco