[Amps] CBers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] CBers
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Mike)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 20:34:21 -0700
I ran into a young guy at the Pomona swap meet last month
who was looking for amplifier parts. He bought some
Motorola sytle power combiners from one guy who had a
bunch of healthy looking amplifier parts (big vacuum caps,
3CX3000 socket, etc). From the gist of the conversation
I am pretty sure this guy was a freebander or so-called "AMer".
Sounded like he wanted to build a healthy mobile amp with
the parts he picked up. Later I ran into him at another booth
where he was looking at an HP141T spectrum analyzer.
He said he wanted to look at harmonics, but seemed a little
nervous when I started asking about what frequencies he
was interested in. I went on to explain about the various
plug-ins available for the HP141T and there availability
on places like Ebay (the unit he was looking at came with
the 18 GHz plug-in).

My guess is that this fellow would make a good ham. He
didn't seem shy at all about jumping into what looked to be
a fairly challenging construction project (he has likely built
more amps than I have). If I see him again maybe I will try
steering him in our direction.