[Amps] RF Ground for 2nd Floor

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] RF Ground for 2nd Floor
From: garyschafer@attbi.com (Gary Schafer)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:30:34 -0400
Actually moist concrete is a very good conductor. Connecting to the rebar in the
concrete makes an excellent ground system. But you need to weld the connections
of the rebar inside the concrete or when you get a lightning strike you can get
an arc inside and the concrete will explode. This type of ground is called a
Ufer ground. Named after the guy that invented it.

The fact that concrete holds moisture makes it better than ground rods where the
soil may be dry.

The Polyphaser site has some articles on Ufer ground systems.

On single point grounding, you can have as many grounds as it is convenient to
have but you only want one lead connected to your equipment. If you have two
leads like the power ground lead and your installed ground lead connected to
your equipment you have created a ground loop. It is best to tie your installed
ground lead to the power ground at say the outlet where you plug the radio in.
It is still ok to tie them together at ground level too. The key is no loop
through the equipment.

73
Gary  K4FMX