[Amps] Air gap for 12000 volts?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Air gap for 12000 volts?
From: w8ron@stratos.net (Ron)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 04:44:31 -0400
Hi Dave.
My comment is that air breaks down at 20 KV/cm meaning that there would be an
arc over at that field strength.
I didn't look it up but it happens to be one of those goofy things that sticks
in one's head from working in electronice for a few decades.
>From a practical perspective, one would not apply 20 KV  DC to a 1 cm gap of
air and expect it to hold.
A 1 inch gap would give a reasonable margin of safety where one would expect
the breakdown to occur at about 50 KV.
---
Ron