[Amps] Dentron 10-160L?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Dentron 10-160L?
From: k7ddmjb@qwest.net (Mike Baker)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:02:26 -0700
Hello Chuck,
    Yep, got one of those and had it for about 3 years now. (with 572B's)
    Runs 1500VDC on the plates so you can use 811A's if you want.  No WARC
bands but does have 160Meters.  Needs a keying box to work with newer rigs
due to its keying current and voltage, or a mod to its keying circuit to
accommodate today's rigs. Will work the WARC bands due to no tuned input
network and puts out about 800Watts PEP.  A good GP type every day user for
SSB or CW.  Runs about 400 out on digital/SSTV/RTTY without a problem.
Don't push it and it will last a long time.  The power transformer won't
take max power for a long time.  Only failure in mine was the plate choke.
Due to the way it was mounted, the end of the mounting screw (a steel screw
not brass!) went up the middle and was actually inside the coil by a few
turns.  It ARCed over internally with a BANG! and it wasn't until I took the
choke out of the circuit and started a careful inspection was I able to find
the damage.  Replaced the choke and rewound it on an identical core but
reversed end for end and with a slightly heavier wire and kept the windings
out of the way of the mounting hardware and used brass screws so all is fine
now.  Back to working dependably.
    I would recommend to anyone looking for a cheep amp to buy and maintain
that the old Dentron 160-10L is a good buy and a bit of a "sleeper" in the
market so it can be had quite reasonably.  IJMO, YMMV.

Best 73
Mike Baker  K7DD
k7ddmjb@qwest.net