[Amps] homebrew glitch resistors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] homebrew glitch resistors
From: g8gsq@qsl.net (Steve Thompson)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 07:33:04 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: Richard <2@mail.vcnet.com>
To: g0ruz@btinternet.com <g0ruz@btinternet.com>; AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Date: 25 April 2002 04:10
Subject: Re: [Amps] homebrew glitch resistors

>Is there any mileage in making a homebrew glitch resistor for use in series
>with the B+ using Nicrome wire on a 1 inch diameter ceramic former. It
seems
>to me that it should be fairly easy to make one with the necessary
>resistance,current and voltage breakdown characteristics.
>
>Has anyone done it? The commercial equivalents are really expensive here in
>the UK and we seem to see very few surplus nowadays.

?  I would build one out of groved Delrin or ABS tubing and Ni-Cr
resistance wire.             12' of #22  Ni-Cr should be about right.
However, we buy glass-coated wire-wound resistors for glitch service and
the price per 250 is just over $1US each.  One 10-0hm, 10W unit will
safely discharge c. 30uF @ c. 2900v.

I have a vague memory that one of the valve/tube manufacturers suggests
limiting discharge current to 40-50A for 'normal' tubes, which would imply a
higher resistance. Can anyone confirm/correct please?

Steve