[Amps] al-1500 parasitic?? or some other problem?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] al-1500 parasitic?? or some other problem?
From: wa1hco@adelphia.net (jeff millar)
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 02:06:57 -0400
It's possible to generate a 1.5x multiplier with a nonlinear C or L.  I once
designed a 144 to 226 multplier with a varactor diode and some tuned
circuits.  The circuit contained an idler tuned circuit at 1/2 input, which
mixed with the input to generate 1.5x.  Some literature exists for non
integer varactor multiplers...but they never became popular, too touchy and
unstable.

Another way weird things can happen with "pumped" nonlinear C (or L); they
can look like a negative resistance.  Parametric amplifiers use that
technique.  Feed RF power into a nonlinear resonant circuit, usually a
microwave cavity with varactor, but possibly an HF tank with overloaded
ferrites...then feed the signal of interest into the resonant circuit, which
reflects back with power gain (a line terminated with negative resistance
reflects more power that applied).  If you have nonlinearities in the
magnetics, it can create parametric amplification/oscillation...possibly
injection locked to the pump frequency.

Synchronous motors and generators suffer from these effects, it helped cause
the big east coast blackout in the 60's.  60 Hz is the pump frequency, the
motor magnetics have nonlinearities, and the parasitic oscillation occured
as cyclic acceleration and deceleration of the generator speeds...until all
the generators tripped off line.

The fact that this occurs at high power and with varies with SWR indicates
possible nonlinear effects in either C or L.
    Do you use ferrites in the tank, maybe they're saturating?
    Do you have a questionable quality ceramic C in the tank, they're
piezioelectric and can act nonlinear?
    Could the 7 MHz network act like an idler when set to 14 MHz, anything
unconventional about the band switching?

jeff, wa1hco