[Amps] resistors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] resistors
From: 2@mail.vcnet.com (Richard)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 05:22:24 -0700
> can anyone point me to a source of resistors other than mouser and
>digi-key???

Dale makes high-ohm spiral-film resistors.  I tested tw5 Dale, 55M-ohm.
5Wers yesterday that performed well at 15kV (4W).  The max V ability film
resistor I have been able to find at Digi-Key and Mouser is 2W, 1M -
which = 1414V.

> I can't believe there aren't more resistors than what they
>list!!! I need some 750k -3w-either ww

Wirewound resistors much over 100k-ohm tend to be semi-reliable.
High-value WW resistors usually carry a V-rating that limits power-rating
to less than the rated dissipation.  For example, a 200k-ohm, 100W
resistor dissipates 100W @ 4472V, however, such a resistor typically
carries a max V rating of less than 4472V.   In other words, the "100W"
rating is unsliced bologna at 200k-ohms.   On the other hand, spiral-film
resistors seem to able to handle more V.   I've used 400M-ohm, 5W
spiral-film resistors that could handle 40kV.   To further complicate
matters, there are two V-ratings.  One is end-to-end V-max and the other
is case-to-gnd V-max.  In the example with the 400M unit, even though the
ene-to-end rating is 40kV, the case-to-gnd rating is probably <400V since
the spiral film is coated with a thin layer of paint so as not to
increase thermal resistivity between the cooling-air and the heat source.
 Fortunately, there is a simple test for determining the V capability of
a resistor.  Using a DMM and a HV multiplier probe, measure applied V
versus current flow.  For a specific number of ohms, the ratio of V/I
should be constant over the range of expected voltages.  When the ratio
of V/I (ohms) begins to decrease, the resistor is beginning to break down
internally.  A classic example is the Heath SB-220.  The HV meter
multiplier resistors are 3, 4.7M-ohm, 1W-rated carbon-comps.  Around
1000V appears across each resistor.  According to ohms-law, the
dissipation in each "1W" R is 0.47W, so all should be well, Mr. Murphy.
However, 1W carbon-comp resistors are max-rated at about 350V, so they
slowly change value with 1000V and eventually fail.  A number of Alpha
amplifiers use 220k-ohm, 1W rated resistors to equalize the V across the
string of 450V electrolytic filter caps.  Apparently, whoever designed
this amplifier did not need to read the fine print in the resistor mfg's
rating/specs.  In time, the 220k resistors change value and unequalize
the distribution of potential across the filter caps.

cheerz