[Amps] Your ideal HF mobile amp.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Your ideal HF mobile amp.
From: i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 15:40:01 +0200
> >Does the SGC, Henry, Tokyo Hi-Power, Ten Tec, Metron or Ameritron fill
> >your needs or are they in anyway lacking?
> >
> 14V is sucky if you want ur mobile signal to be real ducky.

It depends by the desired power level.
A too low impedance leads always to poor results, my opinion is that over
500W and solid state PA it's not the best to run 14VDC.
A DC-DC converter to a minimum of 48VDC for semiconductors or HV for tubes
(why not) should be considered with power levels exceeding 500W out.
Incidentally, a DC DC converter must be stopped during RX and a poor antenna
anyway doesn't radiate reasonable power in any case.

73,
Mauri