[Amps] Fw: True dissipation rating of GU-74B/4CX800A?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Fw: True dissipation rating of GU-74B/4CX800A?
From: yo9fzs@office.deck.ro (yo9fzs)
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 09:17:45 +0300
The original GU74 data sheet stated 600Wanode diss
but the cooling requirement graph was extended to 800W.
For the russian tubes do not exist military and commercially
purpose data or tubes, as the power tubes were intended
for the military only! Even the power approved for the
amateurs should not permit using other than very small
glass tubes.

The anode dissipation is the last to concern about
as the actual limiting factor is phisical (temperature),
so a better cooling (always recommended) may solve
a reasonable increase for the dissipated power, and
for SSB the duty is low and the anode mass is high.
The most important are the grid and screen current
and their dissipated power and the cathode current also.

The first Svetlana 4CX800 data sheet stated that this tube
is the same as the GU74 widely used in the Eastern Europe.
The first commercially made amps using the "new
Svetlana 4CX800" were actually using GU74's.
Probably the GU74 were in great surplus in the early '90's
as other russian tubes also.

After some time, the 4CX800 data sheet did not mention
about the GU74 anymore, but did not state about any
difference also.
A slight change of the anode to ceramic body seal can
be seen at the "new" 4CX800 picture, but no other change,
and some rumour was heard fir the ham community, but
no one could say exactly what change (if any) was about.

Two good GU74's shall do 1.5k without problem.
If you want a good (IMD) and reliable amp, do not use
only one tube.
I saw on the www about 2x GU74 amp at 3kV, 1.8 amps,
450V on the screen and 3300W out.
Now, this is over than any data specs, but may work
(don't ask me about reliability, I can't make any
supposition about), and some russian hams are using
the GU74  for grounded grid service and  using 5" and
even lower size muffin fans. I don't recommend this.

Good luck,
73's,
Traian