[Amps] Need hints.... (wordy)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Need hints.... (wordy)
From: n2bc@stny.rr.com (Bill Coleman)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:06:56 -0400
Here's the deal, I'm 'converting' a 2KW 13.56mHz plasma generator for =
160 thru 10.

The basics:  5CX1500A, 3.8KV EP.  Got it running 'stock' (class C) =
before conversion, easy 2KW output.  =20

Conversion:  added 1000pf loading vac var (was fixed),  bandswitch, new =
tank coils, reworked screen supply from fixed 500V to zener regulated & =
switchable 600V to 750V, reworked bias supply.  Input circuit is 200 ohm =
resistor /w 1:4 broadband toroid.
Most of this freely copied from Rich Measures web pages.

Been tearing my hair out trying to get anything over 1KW output. =
Efficiency lousy - 25% to 30%.   Not to mention beating up the tube just =
a bit.=20

I had initially built the output circuit using a small (.3uH) plate coil =
to offset the high output C of the tube.  Figured I was fighting some =
miscalculation... So let's make it simple....

Tore out the tank coils, ripped out the .3uH plate coil, wound a coil =
for 40M out of 3/16" tubing, ran it directly between Tune and Load caps =
- no bandswitch (no cobbled up piles of tubing & coil stock).  Same =
results. =20

Tuning seems OK, definite plate dip, screen rise, output rise.  Loading =
is mushy, can crank the cap forever with very little change.  I have a =
fairly good L/C meter & preset both tune & load per the calculations, =
tune is real close, load is mush, efficiency stinks.

Other stuff: filament volts is right on, checked output with 2 different =
Bird wattmeters.

So.... what's the secret?

Thanks for reading all of this.  73, Bill
Bill Coleman    N2BC
http://home.stny.rr.com/n2bc

multipart/alternative
  text/html