[Amps] re: CTI screen regulator, tubes vs solid state

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] re: CTI screen regulator, tubes vs solid state
From: nospam4me@juno.com (skipp isaham)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:55:18 -0700
re: CTI screen regulator, tubes vs solid state
-
Remember the past posts on the CTI 4cx250b amplifiers
using tube voltage regulators in the screen supply?
The President Bob Piselli (wa1zru) Emailed the
below text to me.
-
-
[paste]
... The reason I used gas regulators vs solid state, is
the ability of gas regulators to have a longer time
constant over the attack and release cycle of regulation.
What that gives you is a more smooth voltage transition
of regulation, not like the"chopping" effect of solid state.
You can hear this effect in the audio signal.
-
Solid state has no place here and in my opinion is
nothing more than someone trying to re-invent the
wheel by limiting component space and cost. Also,
gas regulators provide DC filtering. Many people don't
realize that fact. Maybe that's why this amplifier sounds
so good on the air. 73 and thanks for your comments.
Bob
President/CTI ComTec, Inc.
-
The URL is www.cticomtec.com