[Amps] Pi tanks vs Pi L + LOW PASS

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Pi tanks vs Pi L + LOW PASS
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 21:58:26 -0500
> Hi All,
>
> Wondering about the harmonic attenuation of a Pi L tank vs a standard
> Pi  tank followed by a good quality low pass filter.
>
> I am interested in building an amp using a tune and load cap with a good
> roller inductor in between to eliminate the band switching mess and adding
> a good low pass filter.
>
> How would these two methods compare for spectral purity ???
>
> Norm  N8NH

Hi Norm, and all the gang!
The low pass filter would be fine after the Pi, but it would need
to cut off just above the band in use. You would need one for
each desired band. Much easier just to add the "L" coil and a
switch or a roller coil. (can be much smaller than the Pi roller.)
A 10 uh coil with #12 wire is good for 160-10m @ several KW
with no heating or sparking.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC