[Amps] Conjugate matching and resonance

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Conjugate matching and resonance
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 02:24:26 -0400
> So if I want to have add resistance in series with the power line to
> match the power supply to the line?  This will improve the efficiency
> of my power supply? Hmmmmm
>          You can't conjugate match most DC power supplies because the
> current and voltage waveforms into and out  of the power transformers
> are not sinusoidal. They contain many harmonics.
>
> 73
> Bill wa4lav

Good points Bill,

I thought about that, but decided it might be too complicated to get
into waveshape with Alex until we got past the misunderstanding of
resonance and conjugate matching.

I felt it would be better to hold off on waveshape and roll it into
his earlier request for S parameters of non-class A large-signal
amplifiers using power grid tubes, since the non-linear impedance
(over a fractional cycle rather than gain linearity we are used to
discussing with SSB or CW RF power amplifiers) would fit the power
supplies also.

Handling waveshape in tubes and power supplies at the same time would
fit nicely, and make lights come on sooner. Conjugate matching power
supplies would likely make the lights go out.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com