[Amps] Defective 8877's ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Defective 8877's ?
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 17:43:31 -0400
> I have two 8877's in unopened boxes with 1990 code dates. I've read
> and heard that these tubes made at that time were subject to some type
> of manufacturing problem. Are these tubes OK, or should I get some
> others with later code dates?

8877's have been problems off and on over the years. The worse period
was in the middle eighties, when for long periods of time the failure
rate was extremely high.

8877 tubes got very good after Salt Lake quit making them, and
manufacturing returned to San Carlos.

You are probably OK with 1990, but the only way to tell is to use
them and see how they last. If they were from 83-89...I'd just toss
them in the trash.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com