[Amps] Induction Motors was: Muffin Fans and hot exhaust

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Induction Motors was: Muffin Fans and hot exhaust
From: K1LE@ARRL.NET (Jeffrey Madore)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:06:57 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "2" <2@vc.net>
To: "Jeffrey Madore" <K1LE@arrl.net>; "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 12:42 PM

> >Usually the run winding consists of larger wire than the start winding.
Thus
> >the X/R ratio is high and current is lagging voltage.
> >
> >The start winding is wound with smaller wire,
>
> This is as I have measured.
>
> >thus it has a comparatively
> >high R/X ratio and current is then more in phase with voltage - or it
could
> >be said that the current in the start winding leads the current in the
run
> >winding. This is where the phase shift is developed.
>
> Once the motor is running, can the high-resistance winding be
> disconnected?

Good question, Rich. I was going to say yes, but I didn't want to answer so
quickly without taking a look at the type of motor that is often seen on
blowers (with attached 1-4uf capacitor).

On most single phase induction motors, the start winding (high resistance)
is electrically disconnected by a centrifugal switch, current actuated
switch, or other, when the motor comes up to speed. An alternating single
phase field will not start rotation but will maintain it once started. The
phase relationship between the start winding and the run winding is what
determines direction of rotation, and thus gives the ability to reverse the
motor, provided all 4 winding connections are wired out.

Interesting thing to try with a small (~1/2 hp) induction motor, is to
disconnect the start winding, energize the run winding, and quickly give the
shaft a spin. It will start and run in either direction, depending on which
way you spin it.

Another interesting thing to try is to jumper the capacitor on an unloaded
capacitor start motor. Since the start winding is quite resistive, the motor
will still start but there is a noticeable reduction in starting torque, as
there is less phase shift between the start and run windings without the
capacitor.

Getting back to the fractional hp motors often seen on blowers, as I
mentioned, I haven't spent much time working with these. So, I just put one
on the bench to take a closer look. This was a 1amp motor connected to a
Torin blower, with a 4 uf oil capacitor attached.

This type of motor appears more as a poly phase induction motor that
requires the capacitor continually to produce a phase shift for both
starting and running. When I disconnected the capacitor, the motor would not
start. Given a spin, the motor started but ran roughly. Without the
capacitor, the "no load" running current was high. When I loaded the motor,
the running current then became excessive. This is much like one would
expect with a 3 phase motor running on single phase.

When I ohmed out the leads, there appeared to be three windings of equal
resistance, as one would expect with a 3 phase motor. The windings were
delta connected with the "un-fed" leg of the delta broken, and the capacitor
inserted in series. I will in time, have to do some more experimenting and
dissecting, as I am now intrigued.

73, Rich,

Jeff - K1LE - CT ><>