[Amps] LK 500 problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] LK 500 problem
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 10:09:49 -0700
>All
>
>I have an Amp Supply LK 500 (2 3-500Z) that is starting to give me some
>grief.
>
>When I turn it on the Grid current goes negative and stays there.

A grid/fil shorted tube will do this.  Lower VHF-Q parasitic suppressors
will make the amp more stable -- but with the tradeoff of c. a 2% power
out reduction at 29MHz.

>The plate current goes to about 200mA and also stays there.  The plate
voltage
>looks OK.  It is an intermittent problem that sometimes goes away if I
>power cycle the amp.

The filament double-helix expands when the tube is hot.  This can cause
it to touch the grid cage when hot -- but not touch the grid cage when
cold.  [photo of this phenomenon on p.15, Sept., 1990 *QST*.]