[Amps] Parasitics and Amp Supply LK-500

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Parasitics and Amp Supply LK-500
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:02:34 -0700
If you have a dipmeter, check the dip between the Tune-C and the blocking
C.  The VHF dip in a stock LK should be sharp, indicating a high VHF-Q.
This is hardly good news unless one is trying to build a VHF-oscillator.
 If you have a spectrum analyzer, with zero drive, put the probe about
2-inches from the anodes and see what happens when you R/T/R/T/R/T key
the amp.  My guess is that each time the DC anode current increases or
decreases you will see damped wave ringing c. 100MHz.  Since
ringing-amplitude is proportional to Q, lower VHF-Q suppressors will
reduce the amplitude of the VHF ringing as well as improve VHF stability.
 The LK  that I modified had numerous arc-marks on the Tune-C plates.
After modification, Tune-C arcing was no longer heard.
-  If you use a quick-switching modern radio for driving the LK,
higher-speed switching in the LK would be mo' betta.  Step-start might be
a good thing.  The lethargic stock T/R relay left over from adding HS
switching will do the step-start.  [see Figure 1 on my Web site].

gud luck, Mike.