[Amps] L4B Problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] L4B Problem
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 09:53:40 -0700
>A friend has a problem with his L4B. It works fine on all bands but 20m.
>When he goes to 20m and puts it in transmit mode, the moment he hits the
>key, the FT1 exciter shuts down. Presumably due to high SWR. It has
>worked OK on 20 in the past. Based on what he tells me, I assume
>probably there is a problem in the bandswitch or the pi network input
>for 20m. Before I drive over to help him fix the problem I could use
>some information.
>1. What is the input Z of a pair of 3-500's ?.

C. 65-ohms.

>Will use mfj 259 and
>resistor to check the input.

This should work to check the tuned input without drive.

>2. Is the input circuit a pi network?

 yes.

>3. Is it slug tuned or trimmer cap tuned?
>4. In case there is a cap failure in the input, What are the cap values
>so I can take replacements?

What Drake used in the days of tube-type exciters may not be optimal for
solid-state exciters.   A Q of 2 - 3 is what's needed -- which means that
original L needs to be less and the in and out caps need to have more C.
360pF would be a good starting point for the input C on 20m.  L and the
output C are best determined with 50% to 100% of the normal drive
applied.  If the tuned inputs are adjusted with less P, the g-g cathodes
will present a false load to the tuned input.   //  Since the HV PS is
not up to AØ duty, keying the exciter with 50wpm dits (or a tuning
pulser) would not be a bad idea.

gud luck, Dan

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end