[Amps] Heising Choke

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Heising Choke
From: Winston F. Jones" <winjones@ix.netcom.com (Winston F. Jones)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 19:22:04 -0400
Back in 1962, I had a Globe Scout 680A which used Heising modulation and I
could never get much modulation out of it. I finally built an external Class
AB modulator. But with low power and a poor antenna, I couldn't compete with
those Rangers, Vikings and homebrew 813 rigs. I also couldn't afford them on
a 16-year-old's wages. Even with today's prices, it's easier to get on the
air with less money. With careful shopping, $100-200 will buy a used solid
state rig which takes up little room (pleasing to the XYL!) and doesn't
contain so much iron that it gives you a hernia to lift.
But I do love that old AM sound!
73, Winston  K4CWQ