[Amps] A general question about why anodes get hot

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] A general question about why anodes get hot
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:53:00 +0000
Congratulations Kim on asking a very good question.  One part of this hobby
and an obligation all hams have (my opinion) is to acquire at least a
minimal understanding of how their gear works.  This is so that when you
operate, you aren't facing a bunch of black boxes.  A good place to start is
with the manuals.  But these often lead to more questions.  If you can get
on the Internet, you will find the search engine google is a great way to
hunt for answers (www.google.com).  Just yesterday I realized I had no idea
why we call the anode supply B+ (why B+?).  I also wondered why a legal
limit tx in the old days (known as a "full gallon" in the 1950s) was a 6
foot high monster that needed a reinforced floor but now we can get 1.5 kw
out of a little desktop amp. Finally it dawned on me that I really didn't
have a clue as to how a gg AB2 triode amp works.  I found out the answers to
all of these questions (thanks in part to Rich Measure's great website) by
doing some Google searching.  I've been licensed since 1972 but I needed to
late to relearn or learn something new.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ
k5uj@hotmail.com