[Amps] 4CX250F Tubes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 4CX250F Tubes
From: g8gsq@qsl.net (Steve Thompson)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 07:55:45 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Smith <ko4nrbs@yahoo.com>
To: amps@contesting.com <amps@contesting.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Date: 23 September 2002 21:41

>Just came in to possession of a box full of new
>4CX250F tubes.  Thought they may be a very low cost
>alternative to the 3-400Z tubes in my Swan Mark 1 amp.
> I know it would take quite a bit of work to do but I
>would be in tubes for the rest of my life!!
>
>Can these tubes handle the 2500vdc the Swan puts out?
The Mk1 manual I found on the web talks about 2500V on full load, and up to
2900V off load, 2600V idling. I reckon that's asking for problems with the
'250. At the very least, you would have to be extremely careful with tuning
and loading to avoid flashovers. If you want to use them in that chassis,
change the PSU to full bridge and run them at 1.5kV, you could put an extra
one in parallel to get the output power capability.

Steve