[Amps] X-ray dangers from amplifiers?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] X-ray dangers from amplifiers?
From: Peter.Chadwick@zarlink.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:18:35 +0100
Alan asks:

>At what anode voltage do valves begin to radiate dangerous X-rays?

When I did a radhaz course back in 1993 at the old Marconi College, they said
there that 10 to 15kV was the lowest level at which to start looking. The very
old colour TV sets had a shunt regulator at 25kV, and that always had a warning
about putting the shielding back after changing the valve, but I don't believe
there's enough gets out of the front of the tube to worry about - perhaps
because it's a  lead glass?

Now the big TWTs running at 150kV are another matter, but you don't find many of
those in ham stations!

73

Peter G3RZP