[Amps] skin effect

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] skin effect
From: g8gsq@qsl.net (Steve Thompson)
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 21:41:38 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Joseph DiPietro <n2uf@joeham.net>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: 04 October 2002 20:23
Subject: Re: [Amps] skin effect

> Steve,
>
> The advantage of regular stranded wire is flexability.
> Litz wire is a special type of stranded wire that is used to reduce skin
> effect.
The longwave guys certainly love it - the key point is that the strands are
insulated from each other.

A lot of stranded wire is multiple cores of tinned copper - skin effect
means that, at hf upwards, the rf current flows in the tin plating which is
relatively lossy. You'd need to be sure that people were comparing like
wires. Once, and only once, I designed a low pass filter specifying tinned
wire to save cost compared with preparing enamelled copper. After a few
months of equipment in the field, I had a lot of rework to do...

Steve