[Amps] 3CX800HX tube questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 3CX800HX tube questions
From: Dinsterdog@aol.com (Dinsterdog@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 09:58:12 EDT
I just heard back from Ameritron on why my AL800H was putting out low power.
It is driven by a pair of 3CX800HX tubes.    They said a tube was shorted and
there was some other damage to some capacitors etc......the tube that is
shorted is costing $595 to replace. From others I have  heard that there is a
serious shortgage of these tubes due to it becoming popular as a driver
device for big amps with large digital sound systems.  Is this true and if
so, does any know of a source where I can get a pair of matched tubes vs a
single replacement?  Is it important to go with a set of matched tubes or
should I just be glad with the shorted tube being replaced?  I also heard
that a pair of pulsating medical tubes can work fine with the amp at about
1/2 the costs.................any thoughts on this??  I paid $700 for a pair
of these tubes three years ago..........$595 for a single tube is ouch!  Any
help appreciated-

73  Paul  N0AH
dinsterdog@aol.com

multipart/alternative