[Amps] Good Way To Test A Plate Transformer ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Good Way To Test A Plate Transformer ?
From: Douglas.R.Snowden@noaa.gov (Douglas R Snowden)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 08:44:27 -0400
I have a Dentron MLA2500 that has burped.  It appears that the
transformer is bad.  If I attach the electrolytic capacitors and diode
bank to the transformer it will pop the fuse.  If I disconnect all from
the xfmr it will not pop a fuse.  In the past, I replaced the diodes and

electrolytics becuase the others were original and one cap had been
replaced by the original owner.   Most of the xfmrs I have seen go bad
in the past have been dead shorts.  Is it common for a transformer to
be bad when under a small load?  It appears that just the surge of
charging
the caps does it.  It does put out voltage as shown on the meter until
the
fuse pops.  Of course I hve taken the tubes out of the picture by
disconnecting them.  What is a good way to test the xfmr ?

Doug N4IJ