[Amps] Collins 830D q&A

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Collins 830D q&A
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:17:07 -0600
6  things to recommend, Jack:

1) Could the output connection to antenna or load be loose or broken,
i.e., the tube is running unloaded? In this case, the screen current
would be wacko, but would also trip overloads or fuses if driven very
much. Screen current in the 4CX1000A can be negative, or positive,
depending on the operating point. Yours sounds too much negative
though. Check the metering too, to make sure something isn't open in
the shunt.

2) Is that rig one with grounded screen, and the screen v is applied
to the cathode? Collins/Continental did that in their FM rigs to get
the most stability with tetrode. However, it does make
troubleshooting deadly, as there is screen v under the socket on the
filament leads! watch out!

3) If #2 is true, could there be a breakdown in the socket, screen
voltage being shorted? I would expect blown fuse by now.

4) The anode blocker sounds fine. A little bit thick in my
estimation, would 200 pF is fine.

5) Post your question to the broadcasters discussion group at
www.broadcast.net. I cannot get into it this minute, but you want to
get to the technical discussion group, where the engineers chat about
things like who came up with the first Doherty linear amplifier style
transmitter. (answer : Doherty at AT&T)

6) contact Continental Electronics in Dallas, J. Fred Riley is the
man to ask for. (800) 733-5011. They continue to make the Collins FM
transmitters.