[Amps] Thomson YL1050 Cavity Neutralization 432 Mhz

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Thomson YL1050 Cavity Neutralization 432 Mhz
From: helge.skram@med.ge.com (Skram, Helge (MED))
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:35:40 +0100
Hello

It is a surprise that a grounded G2 and G1(via caps) can oscillate.
My experience is with a 432MHz PA with YL1111 (eq.RS1064C) according to
Dubus and DB6NT.
G2 is physically grounded and G1 is AC grounded with a teflon ring disk
capacitor that is a integral part of the socket. Output is 750w with 15w
input. Isolation was measured with a generator attached to the output and
measuring with a Boonton 92EA level meter at the input.
No voltages applied, except heater and g1 bias (if these are off should not
make much if any difference).Transmitting at Input and measuring at output
should give comparable result if PA is  tuned at operating frequency on
input and output.
Measuring loss from generator to meter, this must be more than the gain in
the PA or else you will have a power oscillator. Margin should be at least
6dB. I measured this to be >20dB as I remember it. May have been >30dB.
Anyway stability margin was very good with this design.
A AC(or DC) grounded G2 and G1 amplifier shall have a good stability margin.
If not decoupling capacitors should be suspected.

First of all try to measure isolation between output and input and compare
this to gain.
If this is close to zero, I would inspect the 470pF capacitors. 8x470pF
seems much for 432MHz.
Try to remove capacitors in a symmetrical pattern. Any chenge in measured
isolation ?
Try to measure with another tube.

Helge
LA6MV