[Amps] Re: Amps digest, Vol 1 #357 - 15 msgs/INRUSH CURRENT PROTECTION

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: Amps digest, Vol 1 #357 - 15 msgs/INRUSH CURRENT PROTECTION
From: oldjags@cfl.rr.com (Dan Fitch)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 18:12:17 -0500
A simple solution for inrush limiting was shown in a project amplifier in
the 65' ARRL handbook.  It was simply a 60W standard light bulb placed in
series with the primary (I imagine two in series would be fine for 240).  A
few seconds after turn-on, the light dims out as the capacitors charge and
the operator just flips a toggle switch that bypasses the lamp(s).  Would
cost just a few dollars at most, even if a separate box were needed.  It
could be automated with a time-delay relay too, I suppose.

73' de Dan, KB4L