[Amps] the mystery amp found a home

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] the mystery amp found a home
From: kl7ra@blizzard.gcgo.nasa.gov (KL7RA)
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 07:57:45 -0900
>I picked up the Harris RF103 kW amplifier last night, for $100. Took
>4 men to lift it into the pickup, and later I put a ramp from
>tailgate directly into the shed, roller 'er into position for
>inspection this weekend. That thing is a monster. The 3-1000Z seems
>to have made it intact with the chimney unbroken. Amazing thing is
>that motorized inductor with the strange mechanical memory presets.
>There should some good parts in this thing.
>K5PRO

John

I have one still in operation. They do work.

The autotune feature using those mechanical presets was a bad idea
as the "stop turning" alignment was a constant "fuss" factor. They did
fix that with a mod in later units. I added a connector to the
transformer
primary so it could be removed. Removing that pig iron and the front
door reduces the weight enough that only two people are required to
move it instead of four.

It's only used as a single band 80 meter amp here but works fine with
few simple mods to the P/S, input and control circuits. I didn't
change
out the dow-key relay but you should when using new radios.

Visitors to my multi-op contest station "Ho/Hum" the Alphas and QRO
amps but always ask about the "big one". Jump back when I turn it on.

I made a really nice 160 amp out of the parts of a few junkers so you
can't go wrong buying one for cheap.

73 Rich KL7RA