[Amps] Solid state amp advice needed

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Solid state amp advice needed
From: K1LE@ARRL.NET (Jeffrey Madore)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:54:46 -0500
Steve,

You bring out a couple of good points, so let me pick your brain if you
will:

In your experience, where does a supply decoupling fault usually show up in
a low Z solid state final. Do turn to turn shorts occur in the L, or are
bypass C's more often likely to fail?

Also, I have little experience working with chip caps, and only found bad
ones by probing at it while looking through a magnifying glass. I knew that
something was wrong and knew that it was highly likely the cap, but I didn't
know what a bad one looked like. When it flaked apart it was pretty apparent
that it was bad. But I imagine that one could damage a good cap that way
too. So could you explain in a little more detail what you look for as you
reflow the joints?

Thanks, Steve,

Jeff - K1LE - CT ><>