[Amps] Passive grid:

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Passive grid:
From: 2@vc.net (Rich)
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 07:00:06 -0800

>Greetings,
>
>I'm wondering about the location of the grid resistor(2) in a 2 tube PA
>circuit.  I mean.... what I'm wondering is if the location of the
>resisitor is critical.  I'm supposing it should be as near the tube socket
>as possible.  No?

correct

>Further.... would it be best to say use a resistor double the desired
>value on EACH tube socket?

yes

>I'm contemplating a design based on info from your website with 2 4-400s.

have fun,  At least 800 screen V are needed.  The simplist and safest
screen supply is a zener-string shunt regulator at the lv end of the hv
bleeder.  40, 5W, 20v zeners mounted on perfboard would do the job
nicely.  4000V on the anodes is ok for cw.  5000V can be used for SSB,
For RTTY, c.3000V.  For cooler&Quieter operation , incorporate the
SB-220's ingenious cooling system.  //  For more stability,
triple-C-bypass both screen terminals on both sockets.    Forget not that
above its self-resonan freq, every capacitor behaves more and more like
an inductor.

cheers, RD