[Amps] Hi-Q RF Coils

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Hi-Q RF Coils
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 18:43:22 -0800
I pulled my old copy of Terman's Radio Engineers Handbook to see if my
memory was correct and he had a comparison such as you need. He shows 8
charts of Q  for various coils on p 75. For 4mhz he shows a 10
microhenry coil using various types of wire. It is 4 1/8 d by 1.6 long
and 8 turns. For 1/8 tubing Q=580, for nr 10 wire Q=500, for nr 18
Q=320, for litz 32-38 wire Q=200. A chart for much lower freq showed Q
as high as 900 at 350khz for a litz coil vs 500 for nr 18 wire. That
coil was 460 microhenry and 6 inch d by 6 inch long. Much more info
there but don't have time to read it, racing against winter to get some
antenna work done.
  The QEX for Sept/Oct 2001 has 2 articles on coil Q. One on building a
Litz. A second is a mathematical analysis of coil Q and would useful in
designing high Q coils I believe. GL, 73, Dan, N5AR