[Amps] 811A's & Bias

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 811A's & Bias
From: 2@vc.net (Rich)
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 09:25:25 -0800
>Is it really necessary to have operating bias on 811A's ?

Depends on anode supply V.  What is necessary for linear operation with
thoriated-tungsten cathodes is a Zero Signal Anode Current (ZSAC) of c.
20% of maximum-signal anode current.

>If so, is 4.5
>to 5 volts a good value ? Can a string of 2 to 3 amp rectifier diodes be
>used instead of a Zener ?

Yes and zeners are not adjustable in 0.7v steps.

> I am currently using a 47 ohm resistor from
>grid to ground on each tube (4) and am not sure this the right way to go
>about it.

It's good if the grid is bypassed for RF with a total of c. 1000pF using
two, different vakues of C.  A 47-ohm, 1/4w or 1/2w resistor will carry
normal grid current, but it will usually open during a glitch that might
damage the tube.

cheerz, Ed