[Amps] MFJ inrush current protector?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] MFJ inrush current protector?
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 13:36:25 -0600
> I'm looking for some way to put a current surge protector in my 240 v. line
> to my amp.  I see that the MFJ catalog copy for their Inrush Current
> Protector (model ICP-240) says that it also protects against line surges.
> Does anyone have any experience with this unit?  Does it really do the job?
> I wanted to try to get some comments from owners before I spend $79 on one.

Hello Rob,
The MFJ does the job just fine.
Pros: Can be used over and over, on present and future amps.
           Requires no mods to your equipment.

Cons: You have to leave the mains switch on all the time, and reach
            over to the MFJ unit to power up the amp.
            There are about $30 worth of parts in this box; a relay, a
             resistor, a switch, and a couple of other parts.

If you have room in your amp, this circuit can be duplicated,
and the regular mains switch will operate it.

Just a couple of examples of inrush current.....
The Dentron MLA2500/2500B has total inrush current of
up to 140 amps, 53 of which are on those rare 8875 heaters!
(Denny used very large wire on the secondary of the filament
winding)

The Drake L-4B has total inrush of up to 120 amps......

Two prime candidates for the MFJ, or internal mod.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC