[Amps] Q: Chimneys for 3-500/4-400??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Q: Chimneys for 3-500/4-400??
From: 2@vc.net (Rich)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 13:29:08 -0800
>Rich wrote:
>
>> The work-around is to plagiarize the split-chassis transverse 6" fan
>> cooling system used in the Heath SB-220.  The glass envelopes will run
>> way cooler, the amp will run quieter, and there will be no expensive
>> glass chimneys to buy.
>
>Nah nah... no thanks... I think the issue is the temperature of the plate
>seal

Would the fins on the anode/plate radiator work better with vertical
airflow or horizontal airflow?

>and the pins seals... I'd also prefer to have the same temp air on all
>sides of the tube.
>
>You should read the description of how HOT the Henry folks intend to run
>these
>tubes - *very*.

- Henry Radio, Co. uses glass chimneys with noisy centrifugal blowers.

>I've got a nice quiet "squirrel cage" fan for the bottom... expect it do do
>way better than a muffin fan blowing across ... unless I'm missing something
>about the Heathkit method?

I too scoffed at Heath's cooling method until I inspected the ink marking
on the glass envelopes after months of service.  In a Henry 3K-A the ink
quickly turns brown,  In my SB-220, I use Amperex 3-400Zs that were mfg
in 1967 and 1978, the ink is still green, the vacuum is good, and the
emission is still ok.
-  To see the principle behind the Heath cooling system, light a candle,
hold a paper-towel roll's core-tube in front of the candle, and see if
you can blow out the candle.