[Amps] QSK-5

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] QSK-5
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 01:00:41 -0600

> What's with Key 1 and Key 2 on the QSK-5?  It appears that one will work the
> QSK when the unit is on, the other will operate the amp normally when the
> unit is off.  I don't see a need for both--any reason I can't simply use the
> one
> that operates when the QSK unit is on and bypass the amp when it's off?

Key 2 has 5 vdc on it and will supply 1 ma of current to ground when pulled low.
This is the line that must be pulled low (>2vdc) to place the QSK switch in the
transmit mode during QSK operation.

Key 1 is where you plug in the old PTT line coming from the transceiver that
previously plugged into your amp PTT relay input. This returns your keying
scheme to pre-QSK-5 conditions when the QSK-5 is unpowered. When the
QSK-5 is powered up, there is a 3 second hold-after-release on the amp relay.

To answer your question, the input to Key-2 is the QSK output signal from
your transceiver that goes low when you close your key. Key-1 is a VOX
relay pair of contacts from the transceiver that close when you put the
transceiver in transmit mode via the PTT switch on the mike, or VOX operation.

There are several different lash-ups possible for the QSK-5 to make it
work on almost any amp. The folks at Ameritron were most helpful when
I first married my Icom 706 to my QSK-5. They have seen 'em all by now,
and can save a new owner some time and trouble.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC
.